We have moved to www.ashadevos.com

The material on this site is the copyright of Asha de Vos. Photographs should not be used without the express permission of the photographer. For more information contact whalessrilanka@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Traffic in Sri Lanka's waters threatens blue whales - New York Times article


When Erik Olsen from the New York Times first called me about doing an article on my work, I was slightly apprehensive. The limited funds I had for my field work meant that I needed to make sure when the weather was good I was doing science. Thankfully Erik was really adamant about documenting exactly that. The science. 

So here is the culmination of his patience and hours on the ocean, watching and capturing moments that would best represent the work being done. He survived the sun burn and the chilli peanuts and stuffed fish buns and put together this incredible little piece. The power of great reporting is hard to explain.

I am really happy at how this follows on so neatly from the amazing documentary put together by the Channel 7 team on my work and the blue whales back in 2011. 

Thank you to all of you who have expressed interest in supporting the work and for the encouragement I constantly receive. It fuels me and keeps me strong. 

For those of you who would like to support through funds, I am currently working on a PayPal link on this blog to make it easier. Please stay tuned, it should be up by the end of the week. 

Erik Olsen at work. Photo credit Matt Bowers.


7 comments:

  1. Great work Asha. Keep it up. We are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sir! As always, I value your words greatly!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely amazing. Thank you for your efforts both in protecting the species and also in igniting an awareness amongst the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Chamindra! I believe it is very important for us to get the information out to everyone so we can have a shared understanding of the world we live in!

      Delete
  3. Hi Asha,

    Are you following the developments in South Korea re. their plans to launch 'scientific whaling' in their waters? What BS....!! its commercial whaling plain and simple... :(

    http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/7224907/Anger-over-South-Korea-whaling-plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Randi, Yes indeed...I am following very closely and I am very saddened by this news. Thank you for highlighting it here. I will write a blog post on this important issue shortly!

      Delete